Day 18

Today, we had quite a few interns come to be test subjects.  The people with glasses were a lot more difficult to calibrate as opposed to the people without glasses.

I taught myself how to find the statistics on the BeGaze program, and I plan on using some of the statistics as results for my presentation.  I also made AOIs (Areas of Interest) on the BeGaze program, although it did not give me much data-I will probably need to change the AOIs when we get more test subjects.

Right now, my biggest concern is that I won’t get enough adult test subjects to compare the adults’ data and kids’ data.  However, we have only been testing people for one day, so hopefully some adults will be willingly to be test subjects in the near future.  If not, I will probably have enough data to present without this aspect of the project.  *fingers crossed*  

Outline

 

  • Title
    • Analyzing Differences in Reading Patterns of Teens and Adults (1)
  • Background Information (5)
    • Neuroplasticity (1)
    • Wearable Eye Trackers (1)
    • Dual Purkinje Eye Tracker (1)
    • Remote Eye Tracker (1)
    • Eye Movements-Saccades and Fixations (1)
  • Experiment Procedure (~5)
    • The Task (1)
    • The Experiment- How I did it (2-3)
    • The Experiment- Why I did it this way (1)
  • Data Analysis (~6)
    • Graphs/Data Tables (3-4)
    • Analysis-What does the data mean (2-3)
  • Conclusions (3)
    • Problems (1)
    • Conclusion (1)
    • Acknowledgements (1)

Day 17

Today, Lizzy and I encountered a problem-she was using a book for her experiment and the book won’t show up on the BeGaze (analysis program) because it is not actually on the screen.  I remedied this by  taking a picture of the book and putting it on the screen, but then we had trouble  getting the picture and the actual book to line up with each other, and then, there was an issue with the depth perception between the book (thick) and the picture (not thick).

After lunch, Jeff said that the reason why our attempts to calibrate the book and picture were failing was because the eye tracker had a degree of errror.  We then put in the picture that seemed to be the closest (it had the best results when we tested it and it lined up when I measured it).  Then, Lizzy and I went to the DIY Camera Lab and made the BigShot Camera, which was surprisingly fun, and even more surprisingly, I did not fail at it!  The DIY people then came to our lab and we tested them with our new eye tracking test.  However, the SMI thought Rachel had no eyes (probably because she has contacts)…

Day 16

Today, I finished my outline, although I’ll probably need to revise it as my powerpoint changes.  I also set up my experiment on the SMI Eye Tracker.  Setting up my experiment was easy because I am only using computer images.  However, Lizzy is using a computer image and an actual book, so she had to resize the image to match the book and figure out a way to attach the book to the screen.  By the afternoon, our experiment was pretty much all set up, and now we have to get it approved, and do some preliminary tests to insure the experiment runs smoothly.

After, I read about the BeGaze program (the program we will use to analyze the eye tracking data).  I still don’t know much about it, but I think I know enough to make a basic analysis of my data. Maybe. Probably not.

Day 15

I started making my powerpoint presentation, and did some research on eye trackers.  I hope to start testing people on Tuesday, after I get the experiment test up on the SMI.

The barbecue and volleyball were fun, as always.  Afterwards, the Perform Lab showed us the stuff they were working on-they made a virtual stimulation of kicking an object.  I also read about Keith Rayner’s experiments-he did a lot of experiments on reading, so I wanted to see if any of it related to what I’m doing.

Day 14

A couple more people came to do our test.  Susan showed us how to use the remote eye tracking equipment, and we did a practice test with her.  We were having problems loading the experiment onto BeGaze (analysis program), so we went to lunch while it was loading.

After having lunch at Crossroads with some of the other interns, we went back to the eye tracking equipment, and I finally got the experiment to load.  I played around with the BeGaze program for a while, and tried to familiarize myself with some of the program’s capabilities.  I can’t wait until we start using this equipment for our individual projects!

Day 13

We had more test subjects come today! Yay! I also did more background research for my individual project.  We were able to gather a lot more data from the test subjects, which was really nice.

During lunch, we saw a series of videos with tips on how to better communicate and present one’s ideas, which was nice, especially with my presentation coming up.